Before You Apply: Standards & Deadlines
The mission of Transfer Services, part of the Office of the Registrar, is to create clear pathways for transfer students to inquire, learn, apply, and enroll at Northern Kentucky University. Let our team assist you as you take the next steps toward earning your degree and realizing your goals. We look forward to working with you! Here's what you need to know.
- The academic calendar at NKU includes traditional 16-week fall and spring semesters, plus several summer sessions that vary in length. For purposes of admission to NKU, you may transfer from any type of institution (semesters, quarters, or other units).
- NKU accepts transfer credit from all regionally accredited colleges and universities in the United States, and international colleges that meet the accreditation requirements.
- For all students new to NKU, coursework completed with a grade of D- or better (passing) will be evaluated for credit hours toward graduation (excluding developmental or remedial coursework as determined by NKU), but your GPA from any previous college(s) will not be calculated into your GPA at NKU. For details, review our transfer policies.
- You may search for course equivalencies online as an unofficial guide. You will be sent an official course-by-course Transfer Credit Evaluation after your acceptance to NKU.
- Transfer students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and must be eligible to return to the regionally accredited institution they most recently attended to be considered for admission to NKU. In other words, students whose GPA is less than 2.0 and/or who have been suspended may not be accepted. For details, review our transfer policies.
- Students transferring fewer than 24 credit hours or 36 quarter hours of coursework (excluding developmental or remedial coursework as determined by NKU) must also meet the university's current freshman admission standards.
- During the application process, you will select one of NKU's 70+ academic majors. Please be aware that certain majors offered at NKU belong to selective programs that have additional requirements for admission.
NKU must receive your complete application for admission, along with all your required credentials, by the appropriate deadline. Final deadlines are available to transfer student applicants who meet or exceed the admission standards outlined above.